Five Things Every 4C Girl Should Know
by Dawn Myers on September 11, 2020
First off, coily beauty, your hair is gorgeous! (We won’t count that as one of the 5 things you should know). Truth though—4C curls are beautiful, unique and deemed the most challenging hair type to maintain. Type 4C usually requires daily maintenance, is naturally dry and has minimal definition. You probably spend a ton of moola on products and have the sweet superpower of shocking people when you stretch out a strand and show the length of those locks. Here are 5 things you should know to make styling, maintaining and protecting that 4C crown as painless as possible.
1. GET YOUR SLIP. Even if you have low porosity hair, 4C hair needs to be kept moisturized. The kinks and coils of 4C curls prevent the distribution of sebum (natural oil produced by your scalp) throughout your hair. This makes your hair dry out faster than other curl patterns, so you need to take extra precautions to keep your hair moisturized. Find a good moisturizer like our Hyaluronic Moisture Booster—just add a couple of pipettes to your conditioner or leave-in to get the juiciest curls of your life.
2. SCALP CARE IS REAL. As mentioned above, 4C curls prevent the distribution of sebum throughout your hair and so adding a tool to help with keeping your scalp moisturized and healthy is key. Our Scalp Refresher unlocks hair growth, scalp maintenance, and longer lasting wash days by making it easy to hydrate, treat, and nourish. We all know we’re *supposed* to oil our scalps in between wash days, but how many of us have the time to part our hair into those tiny sections every day? The last thing you want to do after spending hours on your hair is disturb your curls by treating your scalp by hand. This tiny little tool packs a PUNCH by making it easy to distribute liquid products with NO MESS while leaving your curls and kinks 100% in tact!
3. DETANGLE WISELY. This is extra important for 4C girls because the tight curl pattern of your hair can cause hairs to curl and coil around each other, causing tangles. Tangles lead to breakage, which hinders growth. Detangle regularly, gently, and on wet hair only with the Knot Your Average 2-Piece Detangling Set. Knots have no chance with this brilliant set designed to eliminate frustrating knots and tangles and minimize shedding faster and easier than ever. These tools go from pre-poo to shower to styling to minimize breakage, splitting, damage, time, and tears.
4. SEAL AWAY. Get a product meant to seal and retain moisture in your hair. Our Cold-Pressed Castor Oil is fortified with Fenugreek to cast out dryness, repair damage, prevent dandruff, and prevent hair fall. An Ayurvedic remedy known for its protein and nicotinic acid, Fenugreek has been used for centuries to grow hair, strengthen strands, and combat hair thinning and hair loss. Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, our fortified castor oil replenishes nutrients leaving your hair, body, and nails lubricates and nourished.
5. FIND YOUR STYLE. Shrinkage can be frustrating because it keeps you from seeing growth, and it can also make your hair more susceptible to tangles and single strand knots. Explore heat-free styles that stretch your hair, such as twist outs, braid outs, and bantu knots. But don't forget to embrace and celebrate shrinkage, and have fun with it! Accessories are fun to play with too. Check out our Glow-Getter Satin Scruchie Set. These scrunchies ooze style while preventing breakage. Ditch the friction and get you some glow that keep your delicate kinks, coils, and curls poppin’!